Thursday, December 28, 2006

Week 9



18/12 Monday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-My (internet) bridge to the world broken. Cables are there but no signal coming through. Tcom sent someone over who did not speak English and did not understand much of my computer screen. Nothing was solved, my laptop conveniently received a guilty verdict and I was left standing at the end of a broken bridge, no idea where to turn to next.

Video still: Manuatu, New Zealand

19/12 Tuesday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-My (internet) bridge to the world still broken.

Video still: Manuatu, New Zealand

20/12 Wednesday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-My (internet) bridge to the world still broken. Filmed the orphans having a Christmas Do at the town hall with the mayor. I think the highlight was going into his office and going over everything on his desk, wearing his chain, and asking millions of questions. Santa appeared with a little angel by his side with lots of gifts.

Video still: Manuatu, New Zealand

21/12 Thursday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-My (internet) bridge to the world still broken. Filmed the orphans having their Christmas dinner in their group homes. I filmed in one home. They crosssed the bridge (my camera) with big smiles on their faces and a great sense of humor, cannot say the same about the staff unfortunately, they dicided en masse not to come onto the bridge even. The kids received more presents. I made a desperate call today to one of the young technicians who solved the initial internet connection problems. He kindly came during his lunch break, could not help but arranged for his english speaking boss to come tomorrow.

Video still: Manuatu, New Zealand

22/12 Friday
All is well, bridge still standing.
- The boss came and solved the connection problem. Yeah, my virtual bridge to the rest of the world is restored again.

Video still: Manuatu, New Zealand

23/12 Saturday
All is well, bridge still standing.

Video still: Sturovo, Slovakia

24/12 Sunday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-Christmas Eve, everything is closed while in others countries, such as New Zealand, people are still shopping franticly. Hardly anyone out on the streets. I crossed the bridge to go to Budapest, a friendly borderguard wished me a Merry Christmas and a happy birthday, they studied my passport. Sat next to a young Israeli couple on the practically empty train to Budapest. All was closed in Budapest too except one Turkish take-away, which was flat out serving fast food to foreigners caught out by the total shut down of the city. The restaurant staff had already put all it's food away and was ready to close as I came in. People kept on walking in, food kept being pulled out of storage again and again, the place just got busier and busier. Italians, Turks, Indians, Koreans, Japanese, me and my Aussie friend/host Danny all very happy with the microwaved left-overs of the day for Christmas Eve's dinner.

Video still: Sturovo, Slovakia

No comments: