Sunday, March 11, 2007

Week 20

More images this week from Carnival in Maastricht. The short video 'Daar Komen Ze' about carnival is ready. To view click here.



It amazes me how people use language to put up barriers rather than to build bridges. It is a problem in many countries where multiple languages are spoken. It is also a problem in single language areas. People in Maastricht for example speak a very distinct local dialect that is not easy to understand for people from other areas like me. Many times remarks were made in a complaint like manner about the fact that I did not speak the local dialect and that I was not a local. When I told the people I was from New Zealand (in Dutch) their attitude changed and they were more friendly and accepting. If I’d said I was from another part of The Netherlands their attitude would not have changed. The fact that this happens even with dialects may be an indication that people will look for any excuse to throw up barriers based on origin.

In Slovakia people often emphasise the fact that I cannot speak the local language(s) and focus on that fact rather than finding out which language we have in common so we can communicate and connect. In New Zealand I have a Dutch accent, in the USA a New Zealand accent, in Australia they think I am South African and in The Netherlands they can’t quite figure out what is the matter with me. So I have given up on trying to fit in by adopting local ways of speaking. It is more important for me to be authentic than to conform.

I had made a hand puppet as part of my costume for carnival, which came in very handy as a mediator. I used the puppet to mime and make contact with people, avoiding the whole language issue. I flirted and people responded readily. My origin was no longer an issue. Many were happy to have their photo taken. My dear puppet was my bridge to overcome language barriers. I was accepted as on of them. Not that I cared much about acceptance. Connecting with the essence of carnival was more important for me. My puppet ‘Dukkie’ had a tough time in Maastricht. It lost its tongue (it rolled out like a lizards tongue), lost its voice, and even an eye. But we had great fun together and fooled many locals about our origin (hehe!). Art with a big ’A’ or a small one is such a fantastic medium to bridge cultural differences.



5/3 Monday
All is well, bridge still standing
-bored kids knocking on my door.



6/3 Tuesday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-bored kids knocking on my door.



7/3 Wednesday
All is not so well, bridge still standing.
-but two girls from across the road ended up in hospital. They played with drugs as they were bored. It is school holidays and 40 kids were left to their own devices. No wonder they got into mischief. Of course they are being punished for their behaviour, such as you can’t go to the art studio this week, but who should be held accountable for their deeds, after all they are kids. What they did was not very smart, but there is no point punishing ignorance. I travel much globally, have lived on different continents and mastered various accents of Dutch and English (I was very good at Irish!) Where ever I go I will always be identified as ‘being from somewhere else’ because of how I speak.
The adults should have known better and could have provided appropriate activities keep them meaningfully occupied and out of trouble.



8/3 Thursday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-bored kids knocking on my door.



9/3 Friday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-girls out of hospital.



10/3 Saturday
All is well, bridge still standing.
-ahhhhhh, spring weather, was able to work outdoors today in the sun, warm sun! After 2 winters in a row a welcome change (yes t-w-o winters!). They may have been mild, but still dull, grey and lacking daylight and SUN!



11/3 Sunday
All is well, bridge still standing.

No comments: