Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Pillar Supporting the Bridge


A bridge will not survive without solid support, neither will the 'Bridge Guard'. My work with the kids from the orphanage would not have been possible with the fantastic loyal support of Szilvia Novak. She had just started working at the orphanage as a pedagogue when I came along. She acted not only as my interpreter, but also as my colaborator in the project. She organised the kids to come to the studio at 3 pm daily, she collected any information I needed, spoke with the director on my behalf, provided me with honest feedback, and last but not least became a very good friend. We share the positive belief in the children (there are some who don't) and an addiction to chocolate. (If anyone has a spare bar of chocolate to spare, just send it to her.) We laughed, moaned, worried and solved problems together. She was happy to be working behind the scene but she deserves a bright spotlight. She did all the above while looking after two kids of her own as a solo Mum and writing a thesis. She is smart, modest and has a golden heart, a rare combination that makes her very special. I know you will continue to advocate and provide access to the arts for the children. You did an amazing job in helping me move a heavy stone on earth and free up the flow of many rivers as a result. So a big thank you to Szilvia.
Szilvia and the bridge.

No comments: